Cockroaches feed on anything edible and although they are not know to readily bite humans, it is possible as they are omnivores. They don’t inflict painful bites as they don’t see humans as food and only bite when they feel threatened. Unlike other insects cockroaches do not transmit diseases through their bites, but they carry germs, pathogens on their bodies and can even transmit diseases via their waste matter.Infestation can occur if these germs or diseases are able to get into the body through open wounds or are inhaled.
Allergic reactions may result from a cockroach bite if the immune system reacts to the proteins found in the saliva,germs on the body of the cockroach or its feces. Signs and symptoms of an insect bite results from the injection of venom or other foreign matter into your body and this can trigger an allergic reaction. If you have a cockroach bite and it welts up, see a doctor.
If you experience cockroach bites in your home it is an indication that you have a cockroach infestation, and cockroaches can find the scent of food left on your hands, mouth or elsewhere on the body and bites you for a taste! Cockroaches feed on dead matter including rotting animals and even humans, but don’t feed on live humans. As such, a cockroach bite is not something you should be scared of when you see a cockroach. These insects are human shy.
How to get rid of cockroach bites
- The first step take when someone is bitten by a cockroach is to wash the bite with water and soap. In case there is a swelling, apply ice onto it. Avoid scratching the wounds as this might infect the bite/s. There are some home remedies for cockroach bites like tea bags, aloe Vera gel lemon juice, and a mixture of baking soda and water. In case of a severe allergic reactions to the cockroach bite see a doctor immediately. This is very important for those who suffer from asthma allergies and other medical conditions particularly the elderly and children.
- Cold pack or Ice cube is one of the first remedies to apply after a bite as it reduces inflammation and swelling.
- Rub a peace of cut onion immediately on the bite. It draws out the venom, germs or other substances.
- Dub some alcohol on the bite, it acts as an antiseptic and a solvent, and helps to reduce the inflammation and prevent infection.
- Apply baking soda paste made using a teaspoon of baking soda and a little water to the bite. Leave it on the bite for 15 – 20 minutes. The baking soda has a cooling effect and its alkalinity will neutralize the acid of the bite. You can also mix equal parts of vinegar and baking soda into a paste and apply it on the bite.
- Rub the inside of the banana skin on the bite. This is effective on some people giving amazing results at reducing the irritation and swelling.
- Carefully peel the inside membrane of a raw egg and place it on the bite. Allow it to completely shrivel and dry. This pulls out the stinger and helps to clear up the redness and swelling which cause itching and pain. This egg remedy is very useful for cockroach bites.
- Dissolve a teaspoon of Epsom salts in a quart of hot water and dab on the bites for several minutes with a cotton ball.
- Rub peppermint onto the bite. This helps cool the bite so that it does itch and boosts blood flow to the area and so aiding in removing the foreign matter.
- Apply hydro cortisone cream, calamine lotion or baking soda paste (in the ratio of 3 teaspoons to 1 teaspoon of water), to the bite several times a day till the symptoms ebb. Take an antihistamine containing diphenhydramine or chlorpheniramine maleate.
You can also buy some products from amazon to use with cockroach bite
Cutter Bite MD Insect Bite Relief (it has more than 160 reviews and get 4 stars)
StingEze Max2 (more than 4 stars and more than 100 reviews)
A cockroach bite can swell and become itchy and even infected. To avoid the bites, try to keep your home clean to avoid infestation of cockroaches and ensure everybody at your home including children is clean before going to bed. As cockroach bites are not intentional, it’s usually kids or those who don’t clean up after meals that are normally bitten by cockroaches. Washing and brushing teeth is an essential part of preventing cockroach bites. A cockroach bite can last up to a week.